Steps you can take to heal your post-baby abdominal separation/diastasis:
1. Hire Tyler Brown. This can be a one-time thing, but I have to give my brother credit with writing me the program that brought my abs back to life. He does online/phone consulting and delivers the programs straight to your email inbox for a one-time fee. Hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Buy an abdominal binder. I thought I’d missed the boat, being four years out from the twins who blew my belly out. As it turns out, waist training is a thing right now and that gear works for restoring your abs too! The binder allows you to do things like crunches that you wouldn’t be able to safely accomplish without support. I’m very fresh into this, but the reviews have sold me.
3. Practice yoga. I started with Holy Yoga, which I will continue to subscribe to even after starting attending classes at my local gym. Yoga allows for so much freedom and modification, but it also shows you your progress each time you practice. And when you’re working on something like growing your muscles back together, you need to see wins on a regular basis.
4. Read Mummy Tummy. This book helped me understand the whole concept behind diastasis and why it’s important to heal from the inside out. Even though it highlights and covers the Tupler technique, the entire book is worth the read. It helps you build the foundation for healing and getting your core back to the way it used to be.
5. Engage ALL OF THE TIME. This is similar to the Tupler technique but even simpler. It’s not an exercise, but you’d be surprised at how effective it is. I started acknowledging my abs all of the time. When I bend over to pick up a baby, I engage my core. When I lean over the table to serve my family dinner, I engage. The more mindful I’ve become of my abs, the more I realize they are for me and not against me. They want to help me. They want to heal. And they take the steps to getting stronger as often as I let them.
Hope this helps! Glad to see so many of you sharing similar experiences on my recent Instagram post. Let’s do this together, shall we?