As a full-time Registered nurse with four pets, two kids, and a husband who works away for half the month, I strive everyday to do all that I can to make it all work. One of the most important things to our family is balance: maintaining thriving careers that we are passionate about, caring for our home and our health, and, most importantly, enjoying this life together that we were so generously blessed with. And so we think of ourselves as a team, working together to accomplish a mission, living each day and keeping our eye on the common goal of happiness and simplicity.
Here are a few ground rules that keep me afloat:
1. I keep a dozen or so running lists weekly. My husband and I post them on the fridge so that we are on the same page and can help each other cross things off. Lists keep my Type A brain happy and my husband’s sanity intact.
2. I clean one room of my house, from top to bottom, each day. There is just not enough time to clean everything at one time so we prefer to break it up daily, preventing the household duties from overwhelming us.
3. I do one load of laundry (wash, dry, fold) each day. Again, it’s all about baby steps to keep you from getting bogged down. Laundry is the first chore that comes up in conversation when my girlfriends and I are feeling spent. By doing a little each day, “the dungeon”, as I fondly refer to my laundry room, seems a lot less scary.
4. Multitasking is everything. In the evening, I sit my oldest daughter at the table for homework, occupy the baby with toys and crackers, cook dinner, and prepare lunches for the next day. I bath both kids together, fold laundry while catching up on TIVO, make games out of clean up time. That being said, I am always mindful to stop and enjoy the moments rather than being completely focused on getting things done.
5. Prioritizing is key. Will the house fall apart if things are out of place or errands aren’t run? No, we will all survive regardless. Keeping the most important thing in mind at all times is what makes all the hard work worth it and that is FAMILY. Precious moments and quality time together: that is what it’s all about.
We are a work in progress, our own little tribe trying to make our place in this world the best it can be. Loving each other to the fullest and living a life we can be proud of. I am doing all that I can and giving myself the credit I deserve and that, to me, is making it work!