Books I’m determined to finish before the weather warms:
1. Girls with Swords. I started it last year, and then I went a little crazy with depression and anxiety so I had to put it away until I healed a bit. I recently picked it back up and feel more encouraged than ever. This is really every woman’s anthem. Lisa has this way of pumping you up and making you feel brave but called and rooted, all at the same time.
2. Yes Please. To say this book is changing my life might sound a little dramatic, but it is definitely one of the books I’ll remember and reference and re-read for years to come. Amy is wise and humble and a little bit saucy, which combines into a fast read that inspires me and keeps me laughing. I took notes and underlined things if you wanna borrow my copy.
3. Knocking on Heaven’s Door. This title sat on my wish list for months, and Chris surprised me with it for Valentine’s Day. Romantic, right?! No but really, it’s one investigative reporter’s journey about her parents’ last several years of life. It’s part-memoir, part whistle-blower piece about the importance of discussion and planning.
4. Love Does. Is it embarrassing that I haven’t finished this yet? I originally bought it for my husband, but eventually sneaked it from his nightstand to mine. It’s a super easy read, full of essays and stories about fun acts of kindness that will brighten your day. I also like that it can be put on pause and restarted again at any time. Bob is patient.
5. Make it Happen. We’re reading this one for our network book club, and it couldn’t be more perfect for the start of the year. Lara walks people through the fears that keep them from going after their dreams, and she balances those get-after-it pep talks with a healthy dose of the gospel. This one’s a must-read for anyone who feels like they were meant for something more, but the “more” is scary.